We have an internet-based discussion group open only to active BOS members, with contents policed by selected “moderators” and retaining the option to remove anyone not abiding by the guidelines. Only this way can we give it the BOS seal of approval, confident that members of any age can enjoy the conversations. It will open up a channel for members to contribute to BOS discussions, further the spread of origami techniques and models and allow those who cannot attend conventions or mini-meetings to feel an active part of a society.
We have appointed official moderators with the power to remove archived messages, so that any breach can be picked up quickly and dealt with appropriately. In many cases, a friendly note explaining the problem can prevent it reoccurring. A clear set of guidelines is available to all would-be subscribers and subsequent application would imply acceptance. Whilst appreciating that not all of our members have easy access to the internet, anyone can use their local library if they wish to join this group.
Subscribe by contacting the secretary (you’ll need your BOS membership number).
The BOS yahoo group is intended for subscribed members of the BOS to exchange messages regarding origami and the Society in general. Messages on this list do not necessarily reflect official Society policy. The BOS is not responsible for opinions offered.
- Messages should be clearly related to origami or the society.
- Personal replies should not be sent to the group but to the individual concerned.
- Message content should avoid politics, race, religion and all similar topics.
- Messages breaching guidelines will be removed and the poster advised as to why.
- Posts should be made in plain text, not HTML – see the yahoo guide.
- Typing in capitals is considered SHOUTING. Use a mix of upper and lower-case letters.
- Don’t post blatant advertisements or commercial messages.
- Quotes should be kept short – delete all but the essential parts of the quoted message.
- Be brief and think about your audience – be careful with humour and sarcasm.
- Use descriptive subjects so readers can skip messages with confidence.
- Attachments should be approved by a moderator before being posted.
- Moderators will write to some individuals, advising them of good group practise.
- Members ignoring such advice would be unsubscribed for three months, after which they should reapply for inclusion.
- Further breaches would lead to exclusion for the period of their BOS membership